Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Christ has Risen!

Easter is one of my favorite holidays. Growing up I have wonderful memories of easter egg hunts, big family dinners and church. I loved going to the Easter service. It was unlike any other service at my friend's churches.

We started celebrating the night before! I was raised Eastern Orthodox and instead of calling it Easter, we called it Pascha. late Saturday night we would get dressed in our best and go to church around 10:30pm. When we were young it was hard to stay up during the 3 hour service. I remember laying the pew fighting to stay awake and then later being carried to the car by my Mom or Dad.

As I got older, I was able to stay awake by singing in the choir. The beginning  of the service was dark and low, as it was still lent. The clergy wore dark robs, the music low and humble chanting, the lights low and everyone holding candles. About halfway through the service, the whole congregation would get up and walk around the outside the church 3 times to symbolize the walk that Christ made to Calvary.  Then we would stop at the front doors of the church. The priest would knock on the door and ask where Christ was. A voice would answer "He is not here. He has risen."

We would then file back into the church, only now the lights were up, flowers everywhere. The clergy changed in to white robs and the hymns were joyful. The clergy would chant "Christ is risen!" And we would reply "Indeed He has risen!" After the service, which usually ended at about 3am, we would go home and sleep. Then around noon we would go back to church for a big feast.

Even though I no longer attend that church, I am grateful for parents that made sure to make Easter centered around Christ and his sacrifice for us. I am so grateful to belong to a church that emphasizes Christ's atonement and how important that is to our salvation. I am grateful for the Savior, who gave His life for mine.



1 comment:

Audrie said...

Wow thanks that was great. I hope you are having fun with Andrea. I saw her for one sec at time out for women a couple of weeks ago.